Left unattended, sewer line problems can cause serious damage to your property and leave you with an expensive repair bill. However, this can be avoided if the problem is dealt with quickly.
Here are seven signs of sewer line issues that should prompt a call to your plumber.
- Frequent backups. Not every backup is the result of a sewer line issue. But if they happen frequently and with multiple sinks, toilets and other fixtures, then chances are there’s something wrong with the sewer line. If the blockage is limited to a single drain, the problem is likely in the pipes.
- Unusual odours. If you notice the smell of sewage inside your home or around the building itself, then it means there’s a break somewhere in your sewer line. It could also mean there’s a blockage somewhere, but either way, you’ll need to get a plumber to conduct an inspection to root out the cause of the issue.
- Mould. If you notice mould growing in your home, and especially if there’s also a sewage-like smell in the air, it could indicate that you have a sewer line problem.
- Slow drains. If your slow drain isn’t fixed by clearing the line with a snake or plunger, then chances are you have a bigger problem. This can happen if cracks are forming in your sewer line or roots are beginning to infiltrate it.
- Yard changes. While pools of waste forming on your lawn are obvious signs of trouble, new patches of lusher, greener grass could indicate that sewage is leaking into your yard’s soil. Visible indentations where your main sewer is buried could also indicate a breakage and/or leak.
- Foundation issues. A leak under your home’s foundation can eventually cause a void to form, which could then lead to cracking, loss of structural integrity and the potential development of a sinkhole. If you notice cracks in your foundation, determine the cause and remedy the situation as soon as possible.
- Pest problems. Rodents and insects can easily infiltrate your home through a cracked sewer line. In addition to the problems caused by the broken pipe itself, rodents and pests can endanger the health of you and your family.
Avoid Future Damage. Call Us For Plumbing Services Today!
If you think you need a sewer line repair or would like to book an inspection, don’t hesitate to contact a certified plumber at Pitton Plumbing & Heating Inc. We’re based in Hamilton and our service area includes most of Southwestern Ontario. Contact us today if you need professional plumbing services.